Shazia Mirza: Coconut
Following the success of her critically acclaimed recent shows; With Love From St. Tropez, a riot of brexit and burquas through the lens of The Periodic Table, and The Kardashians Made Me Do It, a searing and urgent exploration of life, love and Jihadi brides, Shazia is taking on the burning (and infectious) issues of our time in her latest show; Coconut.
“I wrote this show a year ago. It was relevant, funny, timely and I knew every single bit of it. Then one day in March the world ended. I had nothing to do, nowhere to go, and I did what everyone else was doing. I sat on the settee in my pyjamas, stuffing myself with Nutella whilst watching documentaries on Ted Bundy. I thought I’d better change my show and make it more relevant, no one cares about reality TV, celebrity, and me starving in a jungle, lets get real.
People have been struggling to get eggs these past 6 months, Prince Harry told The Queen to f off, Meghan Markle turned into the new Yoko Ono and there’s a few more black people on ITV. Things got serious and I have to do some jokes on this, while I’m playing to sell out crowds of 100 people in 3000 seater stadiums”. Shazia Mirza
Venue: Pentland Theatre
We've put in some new measures to make sure your visit is safe and comfortable. These include limiting the number of people in the theatre, socially distanced seating, increased cleaning, reduced queueing and more... Read more in the Covid-19 Safety Info tab.
Running Time: 1 hour (no interval)
Age Guidance: 14+
Tickets from £12
Dynamic pricing applies to this event. This means that the price of tickets may increase based on demand, so it's best to book early.
Making your booking:
- A maximum of 6 tickets can be booked per group, consisting of one household or support bubble.
- Tickets will appear as ‘unreserved’ when you book. Prior to the show, our Front of House team will allocate seats to each group. These will be allocated from the front of the auditorium to the back, in strict booking order.
- Please ensure that you provide a mobile number when booking so that we can send you contactless tickets via text message before the performance. If you don't have a smartphone you can collect tickets at the Box Office on the day.
- The day before your visit, you’ll receive an email with all the information you’ll need. At least 4 hours before your performance, you’ll receive a text message with a link to your tickets.
- Online sales stop 48 hours in advance of this performance. After this point, please call the Box Office on 0208 369 5454 to check availability.
- If this performance is cancelled, you will have the option to receive a refund or credit to spend on a future show.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the show so that we can move everyone into the auditorium safely. Latecomers cannot be admitted to this performance.
artsdepot is a Covid secure venue. We've put some measures in place to make sure your visit to this event is safe and comfortable:
Limited capacity - we've reduced the number of seats available for this performance so there will be more space in the theatre and when you're moving around the building.
Socially distanced seating - you'll be seated at least 1m from other groups and our Front of House team will direct you into the theatre to make sure there's no rush and minimal queueing.
Reduced queueing - we've added a one way system throughout the building and queueing markings at the Cafe and Box Office, to minimise queueing.
Increased cleaning - our Facilities team are cleaning the building more often. You may see them carrying out their scheduled cleaning while you're with us.
Hand sanitiser - is available at the entrance, in the cafe and outside the theatre. Please use it whenever you like.
Face coverings - staff and visitors are asked to wear face coverings in the building, this includes inside the theatres. This doesn't apply to children under 11 and those who are medically exempt.
Contactless payment - we're taking contactless payments only at the cafe and Box Office to reduce the handling of cash and to minimise queueing.
Social distancing - please remember to keep 2m distance between you and other people. We'll ask you leave buggies on the ground floor to help maintain social distancing.
Contactless tickets - we'll send your tickets to you by text message, at least four hours before the show.
artsdepot is a Covid-secure venue, we are following the safety and hygiene measures set out by the government in its performing arts guidance and guidance for multi-purpose community facilities. For more information about the safety measures we’ve put in place, please read our Covid-19 Safety Information.