artsdepot Messy Play
Our ever-popular class for early years and their parents / carers encourages creative play and exploration. In our mess-friendly art space, little ones are introduced to explore art and creativity through colour, texture and play with no worries about mess and clearing up!
What is Messy Play?
• Messy Play is a 45-minute session where children are encouraged to explore a wide variety of materials through play.
• Sometimes we have large group activities led by the workshop leader, but most of the time, the children can follow their own interests in their own time.
• It’s a session of activities that you wouldn’t dare do at home.
• It is NOT a session where we make mess for the sake of it, its just we don’t mind that children get messy in their creative process.
Dress to get messy!
Spring / Summer Term: Fri 13 Jan - Fri 7 Jul
Venue: Art Space
Liz Atkin is a visual artist, speaker and creative practitioner based in London. She has exhibited widely in UK, Australia, USA and Japan. As a creative practitioner she teaches art, movement and drama in therapeutic settings, schools, galleries, prisons, hospitals and arts venues, including Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Half Moon Theatre, St Mungo's Homelessness Charity, Hoxton Hall and Bethlem Gallery. She has more than 15 years’ experience in Learning and Participation working with all ages from toddlers to adults and has been leading Messy Play at artsdepot
Melanie Hering (Assistant) has recently finished an MA in Applied Theatre at Goldsmiths College. Her first degree was in literature and creative writing. She is passionate about creating and preserving safe spaces for the arts and individuals imaginations in the community. She has worked with diverse populations and especially enjoys sharing her enthusiasm with young people, children and their families. This year she started drum lessons which she finds oh so fun!
Discounts (subject to availability) when booking 5 sessions or a full term (10 classes) - £35 for 5 sessions, £70 per term.
Please call the Box Office on 020 8369 5454, or book in person.
Please note: Each child attending the class must be accompanied by an adult. Each ticket admits one adult and one child only.
Once booked, sessions cannot be refunded, or transferred to an alternative date. No refunds will be given if you do not turn up for a session you have booked for.
The maximum capacity for Messy Play is 16, so please book in advance to ensure you have a place.
How can I prepare for Messy Play?
• Your child is best off in old clothes that you don’t care about getting stained. A body suit is good, or a sleep suit with the toes cut out so that your little one doesn’t slip.
• The Art Room can get quite hot; so don’t overdress your little ones.
• Bring a towel and perhaps a wet flannel to clean up afterwards.
• Don’t forget your camera!!! (Video camera is not permitted).
• Bring a change of clothes.
• The toilets are directly opposite the Art Space, so you can wipe your little ones down afterwards.